Music


Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Swing Thoughts

Oh, how parenthood is difficult! Ha ha, what a way to begin an entry. I figure other parents can empathize, even if they don't comment out loud. Isn't it funny how our sons and daughters know when we really need to do something, yet they want our attention right then and there? I was typing up my resume for a possible new job (thanks for the opportunity, Jeremy), and Eli decided his morning nap would only last as long as it took Cari to lie down for her nap. So here I am wondering how to invent more arms (like Doc Octopus, eh?) so I can type, keep Eli occupied, and gently pull my hair out at the same time. Finally, as always when I seek His wisdom and time, God took my hands out of my hair and led me upstairs to take my son outside for some fresh air. There on the swing, I noticed how green the grass was and how black the soil appeared. I then began contemplating if anyone can ever think of enough questions about God. From that mindset (Eli was sucking his thumb as his REMs [rapid-eye movement] slowly rose), I wondered if God ever gets bored.

Let me pause here and somewhat help the reader understand my ramblings. When I hold Eli, my thoughts turn to God even more than when I'm alone or talking with Cari. I think it's because I'm still stunned that an ex-mess-up like me could have had a part in making a child like him. When I kiss his soft hair or stare into his grey-blue eyes, I don't just indulge in his existence, I fall in love with his character.

From that slight pause, I'll finish up so you can get back to checking your mail or the many other things you do online. Wondering if God gets bored, I tried laying out the query in front of me in the grass. On one side, being bored is something that human beings hold as a point of view. We're created in His image, not only (or merely) physically, but more or less with morals and character traits. We hold dear many of the things God holds dear. On the other side of the coin, being bored is mostly a negative trait. It shows impatience with a set stance on something. Well, God doesn't own negative qualities, so is that a slam-shut case that God doesn't get bored? Maybe.

Looking at God's character even further, we have as an example that Christ rebuked His disciples (Peter on numerous occasions), and even asked them rhetorically how long He had to put up with their misunderstandings of His kingdom. This, though, is not a case for Christ's being bored or impatient, but, I think, a frustration that it took these men so long to grasp His mission and revelation. I mention this story to hold fast to God's enduring patience.

Before Eli started stirring, I came to the conclusion that God could not become bored because that would limit His attention, His patience with creation or within the Godhead, and that would be extremely against His character. It's amazing how the Spirit reveals these thoughts to us in moments of peace and understanding. I need to remember these qualities when I'm doing something "more important" than being with my son. I say this soberly: there isn't a thing in this world (other than my wife) that is more important than he.

No comments: